Thursday 24 October 2013

Daily Requiem Mass





At the sundown
When the burial must be done
There will be nothing left to be interred

Each rising kills;
Each sleeping lay in state
An essential part of the body--dead

A song, a wail, a tear
All work with and for
Same result: our death!

So sing me another song of love
Tell me of roses and Shangri-la
Teach me of the father’s love
And the son’s willing sacrifice

Life with its vast marshlands
Is enough interment of desires
Dressed for a Requiem Mass
Before the quench of the final breath!

Give me wreaths to decorate my bed
Write me tributes for special messages
Lead me to my private cemetery on birthday:
These shall outlast my tombstones

Whatever is done or undone
There shall be nothing left for interment

When the final breath is gone

1 comment:

  1. I love this! Esp the 4th and 5th stanzas. Well done.

    ReplyDelete