Monday 12 March 2012


SUNSET AT DAWN BUT STILL …

Yesterday, her Sun set at its rising place
After a brief moment of her rise
It took with it her candle
And flew the early morning with her hope
Stuffed at the back pocket of his trousers
The flicker of our ambition was gone for good
Sunset at dawn but still shines

And though my Sun set at its rising place
The memory of my dreams in his trousers pocket
The memory of Uncle Kwame’s dreams
Shall lit the torchlight in the night

After wailing
I became full of smiles
There were several glittering stars
In the corners of my spread lips
In the deep blood of my soil
In the vast spaces of my heritage
In the eternal brotherly souls of humanity
Whose destiny once were manacled
Across stormy seas
Sunset at dawn but still shines

I glitter with much dignity and honour
For golden gold rocks my knee
For the best chocolate
Ask of my cocoa
That sweet scenting taste
That will last long on your tongue as long as you live
In the coldest of the Norwegian winter
In the hottest of the tropical African weather
The taste of my chocolate will still be in your buccal cavity

In 2009
The world called for a champion
To rule its best loved and known youth sports
Cowardice did all the nations show forth
None had the courage to respond
I responded gallantly
With inspiration as the Great Ghana Empire of old
And I conquered the world on the soil
Of the Pharoahs
Sunset at dawn but still shines

In the midst of unprecedented economic and financial hiccups
The security guard of the earth’s economy
Was called to present his files on 2011
I was called as being among the best 10 economic superpowers of the world
Among my siblings, I still lit as brightest as ever
The sunset at dawn but still shines
 
When the black gold drips down the shores
Of many of my mother’s children
It became known as the cursed substance
I stepped in to bring change and decorum
As the gallons and barrels
Of my high quality Jubilee Fields Oil
Hit the world markets
Men have begun to see
That I am indeed the destiny changer

Many are the footprints
Of men and women
Who have thronged to catch a glimpse at me
My waterfalls of Boti and Wli
Splashing out refreshing substance
Like the living streams that ever lasts
The diverse and never-to-be forgotten
Cultures that make me.
Oh the natural scenery
Of my parks and gardens
Will ever linger on your mind.
A sight of my power-packed batakari
And adoring and splendid woven kente
I know you will ever remember me

Today,
Some call me the Star of Africa,
The beacon of hope.
Just two days ago
The most powerful person on earth
Identified me with the moniker
The Wonderful Economic Success.
In all these
I smiled.
Yes, I do
Because I know the world is yet
To behold that which I can do.
I still remember what my first son told me 55 years ago
That the Blackman will prove to the world that he is somebody.

The list of the world’s best places of human rights recognition
Are incomplete without me.
Yes I.
Press freedom
I gave to my children.
For achievements
Lie in the expressions of the heart

A journey beyond and across the horizon
Across the deepest and widest seas of  the Atlantic
And the Pacific
have men and women searched
For that which make a people
Peace, Peace, Peace
But to no avail among my mother’s children
Right before me
Peace has been found
To show the world my Peace
I dashed it my son, Busumuru Kofi Annan
From the coolest coast of Axim
To the dried grasslands of Gambaga
From Elubu to Aflao
I called unto my children
To meet at Kintampo
Where my heart dwells
They responded with peace dripping off their lips
In the most difficult times
When all said I am doomed
Yes, my children responded with shouts of
Together we shall shine


The clock is tickling
And I welcome my children
To speak their unequivocal unmistakable mind again
I will respond with much peace and love
Yes, 7.12.12
I will prove to the world again
That the sun though set at dawn
Still shines again

To you
I say
Come, come, come
I call on you to have a taste
Of what is inherent in the word hospitality.
Woezor, akwaaba, moyee, welcome, velkommen.

BY EDZORDZI AGBOZO AND EGBENYA DANIEL





No comments:

Post a Comment